As per an order of the Pune Bench of the National Green Tribunal (dated 16 January 2015, order no 13) the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) needs to clear all concrete, paving blocks and rubble around avenue trees (trees lining roads) and construct tree basins of 1mX1mX1m. These basins have to be provided with nutrient rich soil.
A happy and healthy tree needs much more than just sunlight, water and soil. It’s health equally depends on the conditions beneath the ground.
The roots of a tree not only absorb water and nutrients but also help to anchor the
tree. When something goes wrong with the roots or conditions are altered around your tree, the tree goes into “stress”.
Some of the reasons include:
- Altering/tampering the space around a tree during underground cabling ,repaving and repair work of roads
- Building and altering drainage. When such work is carried out carelessly, the roots are damaged which causes the trees to become unstable. This is the reason trees topple over during heavy rains or storms
- Roads concretized right up to the base of the tree, rob the tree of moisture and soil. It prevents water from percolating down to the roots thus stunting the
- trees growth. Worse still, the concrete dust slowly and steadily seeps down to its roots
- Throwing rubble and trash, littering around trees
The bad news is that when stress is extreme, your tree is damaged permanently and either dies, falls or needs to be cut down.
The good news is that, in most cases, this stress is reversible! Take action now to Free the Tree!
You Can Help in the following ways :
- Identify a tree which has been bound with concrete and click photos
- Note the street name, area, location and a few landmarks (to help identify the location of your tree) eg Padmavati road, Near Westin Hotel, off W>E>Highway, Goregaon E, P /S Ward
- Note the pincode (to help register the complaint with the right BMC ward)
- Or alternately locate your ward from this list.
- Fill the form below on this page.
- Attach a Photo of the tree and send it to us.
Once these details are in place, you have the following options :
- Upload Details with a picture of the tree as a Post on our Facebook Page.(Send your contact details or mail to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for us to register the complaint) Use the #FreeTheTree
- Tweet the image with Details to our Twitter Handle @ConserveAarey with #FreeTheTree
- Write to the Ward Officer of the respective Ward
- Submit your details along with Photographs using this template and send an email to the concerned authorities at MCGM. The email addresses are email@example.com. mark a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to join us in our efforts please feel free to join forces with us